Sunday, June 29, 2008

Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson

Pages: 231

I read Anderson's Speak not too long ago, and really liked it. So, when my mom got this one from the library, I decided to read it.

The main character in the book, Kate Malone, reminds me a lot of myself. She's smart, ambitious, an over-achiever, and a runner (except she's good at it, while I'm not). Now I know not to only apply to one college, because when they turn you down, it won't be fun.

This book was very sad. I do not recommend that you read it if you are already feeling depressed, because it will not help. It does have a slightly hopeful ending, though.

Overall, I really liked this book. It was a good way to start the read-a-thon.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I read Speak maybe a month ago, and thought it was great. Glad you liked it, even if it was depressing.

Good luck and Happy Reading!!

alisonwonderland said...

since i loved Speak so much, i'm definitely going to have to read Catalyst. maybe i'll even read it today for the read-a-thon!

Somer said...

I read Speak a while back and really like it, and I've also read Fever 1793. I have Catalyst, which I picked up at a book sale at some point. This is the first review I've read of it, though, so thanks for writing about it!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm adding this book to my wishlist! Loved Speak....